Inicio

Inicio

Back to home | All articles in category

The Xcaret Sacred Mayan Journey 2012

 

Xcaret Park Cancun

 

The Sacred Mayan Journey will take place at Xcaret on May 17-19, 2012 for the 6th consecutive year. This event recreates one of the most sacred traditions of the ancient Mayan culture; the yearly pilgrimage to the island of Cozumel to worship the goddess Ixchel. Men and women brave the Caribbean waters in canoes during this strenuous, life-threatening journey.

 

Mayan Goddess Ixchel

 

This year, there will be a total of 268 rowers, 165 men and 93 women, who have trained for the crossing for over six months. 94% of the rowers are Mexican and the remaining 6% are foreigners from a various different countries. The entire project involves 488 participants. They will wear traditional Mayan dress and paint and recreate a typical Mayan marketplace and sacred ceremonies.

 

Xcaret Riviera Maya

 

The crossing will begin at Xcaret. Rowers will make their way through the treaterous waters to Cozumel. The next day they will cross yet again to Playa del Carmen. This year’s focus is a new beginning, based on the ending of a cycle and the beginning of a new one on the Mayan calendar on December 21, 2012.

 

 

Leave a Reply

*

Accreditations: Accreditations and prices

FRONT DESK +52 984 877.2400
RESERVATIONS +52 998 287.4115 TOLL FREE 1.800.494.9173