As one of the few Mexican-owned family resorts in the region, Hacienda Tres Rios’ ties to the Riviera Maya are strong and long-standing. From the hotels’ inception to current daily operations, sustainability has been the guiding principle. Hacienda Tres Rios is a model for economically sound, sustainable development, not just in this area, but globally.
One of the essential characteristics of Hacienda Tres Ríos has always been the application of sustainability starting with the design, moving through construction and continuing throughout the operation of the resort and nature park.
What exactly is an eco-friendly or sustainable resort? Here are 10 practices that make Hacienda Tres Rios sustainable…
1. All of the resort’s buildings were constructed on more than 780 stilts which protected and maintained groundwater flow , which plays a fundamental role in the balance of the mangrove ecosystem.
2. Thanks to the use of heat interchanger systems, only 30% of the fuel that would normally be required to heat the hotel’s water is used. Therefore, instead of using large boilers, only small heaters are needed, using the cleanest fossil fuel currently available, natural gas.
3. As part of the Flora and Fauna Rescue Program, each and every one of the plants under threat or in danger of extinction was carefully removed from the site before construction and taken to the Tres Ríos Plant Nursery for safekeeping.
4. Waste is separated in the kitchens and used for compost.
5. Plastic, aluminum, glass, and cardboard items discarded in rooms and public areas are separated in the waste area for recycling. Grease residue from the kitchens is sent to a certified processing company.
6. Suppliers of fresh products such as fruits, vegetables, and eggs are obliged to deliver their products in reusable containers.
7. Cleaning and hygiene products used in the hotel are biodegradable and environmentally friendly.
8. The general use of straws is eliminated, and they are only given upon request.
9. Disposable cups are replaced with reusable and recyclable, hard plastic glasses.
10. Paper used in the hotel consists of at least 50% recycled fibers and is made without chlorine and both sides of paper are always used in the administrative offices.
Hacienda Tres Rios is an eco-friendly, sustainable, luxury resort. See our Specials & Packages here.
Is staying at an eco-friendly or sustainable resort important to you? Why?